The "Starter" of Something New

I've started something new in our kitchen! As a person who loves to cook, bake, and try new things it was only a matter of time before I hopped on the band wagon and got going on my very own sourdough starter! When I first found out about the whole process of making homemade sourdough I was very intimidated. The lovely Lisa from Farmhouse on Boone has a pretty simple recipe for making this starter but it is the process of feeding and stirring the starter that seemed to be too much for me. But I was really wanting to make some homemade sourdough goodies and figured being quarantined at home is the perfect time to give a project like this a start. I mean, it's not like I have much else to occupy my time!


Benefits of Sourdough

It's More Nutritious 
Sourdough, though made with the same flour as other kinds of bread, is actually more nutritious due to the fermentation process! Here's how!

Whole grain breads are naturally rich in minerals like potassium, phosphate, magnesium, and zinc. However, the absorption of these minerals is impaired due to the presence of something called phytic acid or phytate. These phytates bind to minerals, thereby reducing our body's ability to absorb them. 

But here comes our good ol' buddy sourdough! The lactic acid bacteria found in sourdough actually lowers the pH of whatever you've just baked, which in turn helps break down those dreaded phytates. So basically, more nutritious minerals for everyone! YAY!

That same lactic acid bacteria also releases antioxidants during the sourdough fermentation process...double yay!


It's Easier To Digest
Sourdough is a great source of what you'd call prebiotics and it also has some probiotic properties. Why does that matter? Well! Prebiotics are non-digestible fibers that feed the beneficial bacteria in your gut! Probiotics are those said beneficial bacteria! So by eating sourdough you are putting good bacteria in your gut and simultaneously feeding that good bacteria! Consuming these can improve your gut health which then aids in digestion.

Let me also mention that sourdough has a lower gluten content than regular breads! All because of the special fermentation process it goes through!

It Tastes Amazing!
If you've never tried sourdough bread before, you've got to stop depriving yourself! The flavor is so unique and has such depth to it, once you try it I'm sure you'll be hooked!
And you don't have to limit yourself to to just sourdough "bread." You can use your starter for sourdough pancakes, rolls, crepes, biscuits, muffins, scones...I mean, the sky's the limit!

I cannot wait for my starter to fully mature (I am currently on day 2 of 7 of feeding and stirring before I can use) so I can get experimenting and sharing really fun and delicious recipes with you all! Maybe I'll even inspire you to get your own stater...started! Happy Fermenting!



xo
Janine



Comments