Current State Of Affairs

It's crazy to think back on the last time I wrote a post for this blog. I titled it "Temporary Oasis" because it was the break I needed after the insane windstorm of changes that picked my husband and I up and planted us in State College. It was the break I needed before heading into our new house and working to get it organized and turned into "our" home.

Little did I know that it would be the calm before the storm. A storm of sickness and public fear, seas of mask-clad individuals, empty grocery store aisles, and hoarding toilet paper ...a storm officially named COVID-19. But here I am, after a month of resting and staying cooped up inside our temporary condo, now cooped up inside our house. But this is not a blog post for complaining. There are many people battling sickness, dying, and those who our exhausted working on the front lines...and I am thankful to be home safe with my love.

While things have been pretty chaotic out in the world, things are slowly starting to take form and come together inside the house. With all this extra time I've really been able to dedicate myself to whipping the place into shape! This has consisted of intensive cleaning, some wallpaper removal, and very soon there will be some tile work on the bathroom floor! All very exhausting, but fun and rewarding for me at the same time. There's still so much to be done, almost every room needs to be painted, and the kitchen needs a complete overhaul but I'm loving how things are coming together bit by bit...day by day.

I would say that, as things have begun to come together, the style of decorating is leaning towards farmhouse cottage. I knew I loved the "farmhouse" style but that is one big umbrella that encompasses a ton of different sub-styles like "industrial farmhouse," "french provincial" (my other favorite), and "modern farmhouse." Now that the style has made itself clear to me It's been easier to find pieces that I love and will fit in with the cottage aesthetic. I may still mix a bit of industrial and french pieces in though, I just can't help myself...I like what I like!

The newest addition to the house that has me very much living my farmhouse cottage dreams is our hutch. I have been on the hunt for a hutch since before we officially moved in and I was hoping to search through all the amazing thrift stores in our new area...but of course everything is currently shutdown. Thankfully we still have the Facebook Marketplace (just take extra precautions!) and this beautiful hutch came across my path at only $75.00. Depending on how things look once I paint, I may white wash it or keep it as is...we'll just have to wait and see.

I cannot wait for the wooden spindle half wall contraption to be removed. It will make the space seem bigger and there won't be any obstruction to the view into the living room. That's a future project for me and a brother-in-law.

This large clock has more of an industrial feel but I love it and so does the hubs so I couldn't pass it up! I got it for a steal at Ollie's too!


The current state of things are a bit confusing and concerning, I never thought I'd experience being quarantined at home, social distancing in public, and having so many businesses closed to the public! But there have been two things giving me comfort at this time. The first and most important being my faith in God. Knowing that He is sovereign and ordains all things including this current pandemic. Nothing catches Him by surprise. He is not confused or derailed. His purposes are good and will come to pass. He will be glorified..and it's through knowing this that I have peace.

Lastly, being able to express my creativity through creating a cozy and comfortable space for us here brings me great joy and something to focus on. I am thankful to have this huge ongoing project that I can put time and energy into seeing as I have not place to go.

I look forward to starting more projects, possibly starting a corresponding home decor YouTube channel, and posting on here more regularly. I pray that you all are finding true, lasting peace through this time and beyond it, and getting back to the things that really matter during our current state of affairs.


xo
Janine

Comments