Peach & Blueberry Streusel Pie

This post did not turn out as plan. It was never suppose to be a peach and blueberry pie with a streusel topping and a sourdough crust. I mean...that is A LOT of stuff going on in one pie. All I wanted to do was bake a yummy peach pie and test out my sourdough starter in a pie crust. A simple peach pie with a flaky sourdough crust...THAT'S ALL! But here we are.

That's how the really great recipes are formed though, right? You set out to make one thing and through the process you realize that you're missing a certain ingredient, so you substitute it with something else. You're too far gone into the recipe when you realize you don't have enough of the main ingredient, so you have to rummage around to find some other ingredient that will suffice. And when it's all said and done you end up with a completely different product than what you first envisioned.

And that is how this delicious pie came to be! I did not have enough peaches, so I threw in some blueberries. I intended to have a double crusted pie but I did not have enough filling to make it work, so I made a streusel topping instead! I made the sourdough crust before realizing I'd need to change course, so I just said a prayer hoping that the flavors would meld together well. And now I have a summery pie with a bit of tang, zing, and aromatic spice. It is anything but dull and every bit of flavorful. It's not the simple pie that I wanted to make but it's the hodgepodge pie I'm so glad I ended up with.

So what life lesson can we learn from the simple peach pie that never was and the more complex pie that took its place? 

Life is filled with unforeseen obstacles. Sometimes we set out with a goal or plan in mind and we know exactly what we want the end results to be. But life happens and how we respond to these obstacles will determine if we end up with a pie that, though different from what we set out to achieve, is still delicious and enjoyable; or if we end up with no pie at all. If we can't be content with anything less than what we have planned, which in no way are we certain will come to pass, we may miss out on something amazing. Something we may just delight in even more than what we had initially envisioned.

Well, lets get into the recipe as I don't want you to have to scroll through a novel before getting to the good stuff! I hope you savor and enjoy every morsel of this treat, and who knows, maybe you won't have all the necessary ingredients and will wind up making a masterpiece of your own. Happy baking!


Recipe Notes

1. If you don't have a sourdough started, that's okay! Substitute your favorite pie crust recipe instead!

2. Feel free to use regular all purpose flour, brown sugar, and granulated sugar where the recipe indicates. We choose ingredients like gluten free flour mix, coconut sugar, and stevia as some are easier on your digestion, have a lower glycemic index, or are calorie free. We try to be healthier and improve where we can!


xo
Janine

Comments