Christmas 2020 in Review

As I sit here writing this, snuggled up on the living room couch, I can look out the window and see the prettiest, fluffy white snowfall descend outside. The view of the hills, usually a drab hue of brown, are now blanketed in pure white. The bare branches of the trees lining our street, now magnificently adorned. It's amazing how beautifully enchanting a bit of snowfall can be. What a cozy backdrop for looking back on this previous year's Christmas decor!

The last time I wrote a decor review on this blog was in the spring and summer of 2019 (you can check that post out here). It's amazing to look back on that post and see how the Lord has so richly blessed us since then. Back then we were renting an older home and I was navigating trying to exercise my love for decorating and interior styling while not having full freedom to change much about the house. This led to many lessons in contentment and learning that it is not how much we have that matters but what we do with what we are given. 

A year and a half later and now we own a home of our own! A home with many of the things I desired but felt were lacking in our precious space. A home where I have the freedom to change the things I want and take on projects that fuel my creativity and create the vision of the home I have in my mind. The lessons in contentment still continue as they are still very much needed. And I am thankful for the constant reminder that all I have is from God and I am to be faithful in and with all things!

So onto the review! I cannot express how much fun it was decorating for Christmas this year. Having a more neutral and subdued palette in the house really made the bright reds and cheerful greens sing! Add the warm white lights and the coziness factor reached new heights. 

One of my favorite DIY projects for the seasonal decor has got to be the present cabinets! Just a few rolls of ribbon and some premade bows from the Dollar Tree and I was able to give the kitchen a fun and festive look!

This year I got a lot of our decor from a local thrift store that had the entire second floor covered in Christmas! I truly had to restrain myself because there was just so muc there. I think I spent baour $12 and came away with tons of trinkets, Christmas dishes, and faux greenery/poinsettias. Decor can be so expensive, I highly suggest getting a lot of your decor items from thrift stores. Let someone else's castaways become your treasures. You'll get more bang for your buck!


And here is a photo of the view outside the living room window. Cozy right? Nothing like being snowed in! I hope you enjoyed seeing some snippets of our humble home at Christmastime. A lot of the other rooms aren't shown because they still in "fixer upper" stage but I look forward to sharing those and the projects I have planned later down the line. Hope you are enjoying the beginning of the new year! Until next time, happy decorating!

xo
Janine






Comments

  1. I love the blue and red in your kitchen! That is really one of my favorite color combos. Your home decor is lovely, and I appreciate your emphasis on contentment. We had the joy of decorating our home for the past 7 years, but this year our living situation is altered and we have moved in with relatives and are for the most part in a spending pause. So it's really encouraging to be reminded that these seasons are not forever, and I'm inspired to decorate as nicely as you have in our next home.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment