Easy Country-Style Biscuits

I've always been intimidated by the thought of making biscuits from scratch. If I'm completely honest with myself I was intimidated by the thought of making any "bread-like" substance with out the help of a mix or the convenience of  just poppin' open a can.

But I'm trying new things and learning that it’s really not THAT difficult. I mean, it's not easy by any means but it's most definitely doable...once you disregard to several failed attempts scattered along the way, of course. 

So I know find myself in the kitchen almost every weekend, apron on and covered in flour, attempting to conquer new feats in the gluten-kingdom that is baking bread and bread-like things, for lack of a better description. Now imagine my surprise when I discovered how easy it was to make a batch of buttery biscuits! No more opening up a can of Pillsbury Grands Biscuits, no sir. As long as you have 25 minutes and six of the simplest pantry staples then you're in the business of baking biscuits. Say that three times fast...


It all starts with throwing all the dry ingredients in a bowl. Doesn't matter the order, just toss them all in and give a good whisk or two. I then cut the cold butter into pats or cubes and place in the bowl with the flour mixture. Now if you're fancy and have a pastry cutter then go ahead and use that. I find using my hands just as effective so I just do it that way. Cut the butter into the flour mixture until it starts to resemble a wet-sand like texture or resembles small peas. If you have kids this would be one of the fun moments to get them involved - it'll be messy...but fun.


Slowly add in the milk (I used half and half but you can use whatever you have) and combine using a fork until you get a slightly sticky dough.


Once you've formed your dough it’s time to turn it out onto a floured surface. If you like layers in your biscuits then be sure to fold the dough onto itself several times. Flatten the dough until it's about 1 inch in thickness. You could roll it out but I just use my hand - simple. Again, if you're fancy and have a biscuit cutter then by all means have at it! If you're like me and do not own a trusty biscuit cutter, then the rim of a glass will do just fine!


You will find that if you gather the scraps and re-flatten the dough you can increase the amount of biscuits you get and reduce wastage! More biscuits plus not wasting hard earned money sounds like a win-win to me. Just place the biscuits on a greased or lined baking pan and then I like to brush a bit of milk on top of each one to help them get a beautiful brown top. Just place them in the oven for about 15 minutes or until they’re as brown as you like and enjoy! Honestly the simplest recipe ever for biscuits. And they taste amazing - trust me!


First time I made these was for Saturday Brunch. I made biscuits and gravy which I’ve made several times since being married. Each time I would try a different biscuit recipe to see which on worked the best. I needed something quick since I make a ton of the brunch menu items from scratch and I do not want to be bogged down with something difficult and time consuming. I also needed it to be delicious because - tastebuds. The first few recipes I tried were extremely quick but just as dry and crumbly. Then a couple were easy but bland. This has the best of both worlds. Is it a blue ribbon, award winning, best of all the recipes out there biscuit? No, I’m sure you could find tastier more complex (eh- complicated) biscuit recipes out there. But if you’re looking for tasty, inexpensive, time-saving fluffy goodness- then give these a go. 




xo,
Janine

Comments